- 1 recipe Pastry Single-Crust Pie, see recipe, or 1 rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust (1/2 of a 15-oz. pkg.)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare pastry and line 9-inch pie plate. Line pastry with double thickness of foil. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 4 to 6 minutes more or until crust is lightly browned; cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
2. In saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in sugar and flour. Remove from heat; set aside. In mixing bowl beat eggs with electric mixer on medium speed just until fluffy (about 1 minute). Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Gradually whisk buttermilk mixture into butter mixture until smooth. Pour into prebaked crust.
3. Place pie on oven rack; carefully tent whole pie with foil. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until center is set when gently shaken. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Makes 8 servings.
- 1 Recipe Single-Crust Pie Pastry, see recipe, or 1 rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust (1/2 of a 15-oz. pkg.)
- 1 Tbsp. raw sugar or coarse sugar
- 1/2 plus 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. light-colored corn syrup
- 1/2 plus 1 tsp. vanilla, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare pastry and line 9-inch pie plate. In bowl combine raw sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Brush melted butter over crust. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. of cinnamon-sugar mixture. Set aside.
2. For syrup, in saucepan combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, the water, corn syrup, and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil gently for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Set aside.
3. In mixing bowl beat 1/4 cup softened butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat in granulated sugar, powdered sugar, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar until well combined. Beat in egg and 1 tsp. vanilla. Gradually beat in milk until combined. Beat in flour. Spread evenly in crust-lined pie plate.
4. Slow pour syrup over the filling in pie plate. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cover edges of pie with foil.5. Bake pie 25 minutes; carefully remove foil. Bake about 20 minutes more or until top is puffed and golden brown, and a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm. Makes 10 servings