Michelle from The Mumsy Blog
In my neck of the woods, as I'm sure it is in yours, almost all of the leaves have fallen off the trees and created a whole new wonderland for my chickies. Aside from finding sheer joy in throwing, raking, and forming piles to jump in, my little ones love to collect leaves; making my nest feel like the great outdoors. Wanting to do something with their rapidly growing collection, I quickly got on line and began to search for some sort of child friendly Thanksgiving craft that incorporated leaves. Instantly, I came across multiple versions of leaf feather turkeys and decided this is exactly what I was looking for.
Here's how my chickies and I made ours.
(Note: Unless your chickies are able to handle glue and scissors on their own, you will need to do steps 1-4 on your own)
*Brown, red, white, and orange construction paper
1) On your brown construction paper, trace to circles; one that is large and one that is small. I traced a large glass mug and a small mason jar to do this. Once your circles are traced, cut them out.
2) With your white piece of construction laying the horizontal way, glue down your large brown circle making sure to leave enough room above it to glue down your leaves. Next, glue your smaller brown circle into the center of your larger one.
3) Cut a beak and legs out of your orange construction paper and a wattle (the red thing that hangs down by the beak) out of your red paper. Glue all the items in their correct places and then complete the body of your turkey by drawing on some eyes with your black marker.
4) Break off any stems that may be on your leaves so that they aren't in the way of your darling turkey face.
5) With your chickie(s) glue your leaves around the upper half of your turkey body to create a final product that looks something like this:
And there you have it...a super cute, penniless, and oh so easy craft that will keep your chickies hands busy, de-clutter your nest from its own leaf collection build up, and make for some super cute holiday decor.
Michelle-The Mumsy Blog